Thursday, September 24, 2015

Trending: Instagram Editing

Lately I've gotten a lot of questions about my Instagram, mostly relating to having a theme and editing tips. While I've had a personal struggle with maintaining a theme, it's hard sharing your life under a particular colored scheme, I wanted to share some ideas and accounts that are good examples.

The basic concept of an Instagram theme is simply displaying your life through aesthetically pleasing pictures that all compliment and relate to each other. Many users pick a color scheme to achieve this and treat their account in a manner similar to a prized Tumblr feed.




You probably noticed that unity can be achieved by having a similar editing process applied to every photo you post. Personally, I have a filter I always use and then religiously use similar adjustments on each photo. This doesn't replace a color scheme or themed posts but it helps with the overall aesthetic.

Having an Instagram feed you can be proud of starts with taking better photos. Some easy tips are turning on the grid feature on your iPhone camera, making you follow the rule of thirds. Try taking multiple shots of the same image with slight differences, these will become more apparent while editing. The biggest piece of advice I can give it take more pictures than you think you'll need, it'll be a lifesaver when your editing and picking the final product.









I start by whitening the whites in the picture. As odd as this sounds, I appreciate the cleaner and crisp look and white is an easy thematic element. The app I use for this is Facetune. I also use this to place focus on and sharpen certain aspects of the photo which I want to stand out. This feature can be found under details.
















After applying what I consider technical changes, I move into VSCOcam, where I apply a filter and make other color and light related tweaks. I swear by the filter A5, which I believe is one you have to purchase in a filter package through the app itself. I then go on to adjust the exposure (+1), contrast (-1/0), saturation (-1) and fade (+1/2. Lastly, I make an cropping adjustments that are needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment